This engineering R&D claim example focuses on a commercial and residential vacuum solutions company.
Development of a bespoke dust extraction solution that would help control explosive dust particles within a mill.
Advance in Science or Technology
To design the bespoke dust extraction system the company had to:
- Understand the ATEX (European Directive for controlling explosive atmospheres) standards
- Use ATEX approved switches to reduce the ignition risk
- Fit several air and safety filters to prevent dust particles reaching the ventilation system’s electrical parts, bearings or fans
- Add an explosion vent on the system
- Locate the unit outside the building
The company faced the following key uncertainties during development:
- How to design a ventilation system that would meet ATEX standards?
- Would the system extract dust from the whole mill?
- Would the system minimise or eliminate the risk of dust ignition?
- Could they prevent heat and dust build up in the system?
Total Business Benefit
They received a £30K Corporation Tax Rate reduction.